Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pinch Hitting: Sarah of I'm Just Saying

Editor's note: Last week I came up with the idea of bringing in some Pinch Hitters, so to speak. I've invited a couple friends and fellow bloggers to write posts for you, our loyal fans in the stands. Naturally, the honor of the first guest post should go to none other than my esteemed wife and author of the well-read blog, I'm Just Saying. I was going to introduce her post saying "I am thrilled to present our first guest columnist"...but then I read the first line of her post below. By the time Saturday gets here, I'll be able to support the Hogs in their efforts against Alabama, but I'm not there yet. So with what bitterness I am still carrying from my UGA Dawgs choking and handing the win over to the Hogs, I'll say...

*queue up "SexyBack" by Justin Timberlake*

Now hitting: #41, the second baseman, Sarah.


Wooooooo PIG SOOIEEEE! Go Razorbacks! Hogs rule, Dawgs drool!

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I'll tell you why I'm here. This blog needs a feminine touch!

Tonight at 11:09pm, we enter the most glorious season of them all. It's FALL, y'all! Why do I love Fall so much? Oh, let me count the ways! Cooler temperatures (allegedly), jackets and long sleeves and sweaters, chili and soups, and college football. Now, I can blog with the best of 'em about my favorite Autumn clothing and I can share a darn good chili recipe, but Michael has asked me to write about my love of college football. And what better time to do that than right after my team mopped the floor with his team the beginning of Fall?

I think the reason women can get into college football so easily is because we can relate it to our past. We can remember our high school days (and even younger) hanging out at the football game on a Friday night. I remember all of us girls worrying about dates to the Homecoming game, the VERY LARGE AND OBSCENE Homecoming corsages, playing in the band and marching at half-time, making fun of the cheerleaders cheering at the top of our lungs, dressing in school colors to show our spirit, and of course, checking out the hot football players. Good Friday night memories.

The excitement - for me - dropped off dramatically in college, because my alma mater didn't have that great of a team to speak of. I went to some games, but there was so much other fun stuff to do in college! Besides, our team mascot was gramatically incorrect. And that's just embarrassing.

But then.

In the late 90s, I went to work at a television station in Little Rock. It was there that I worked with The Voice of the Razorbacks, Mr. Paul Eells. How on earth could you not be excited about Razorback football when working with this man? I discovered my love for college football. There was so much excitement to be had! Calling the Hogs, tailgating, crazy fans, SEC rivalry games, wearing Razorback red, and of course, the hot football players. You just couldn't help but be excited...especially when some games went into seven-freaking-overtimes. Yep, I caught a serious case of college football fever.


And now, I live far from Razorback country. I married into the Georgia Bulldogs family. I have friends who are LSU Tigers fans, Tennessee Vols fans, Auburn Tigers fans, Ole Miss fans, and Alabama Crimson Tide fans. I even have a few friends who cheer for the Florida Gators...bless their hearts, they just don't know any better. I love them dearly, but I will always root for whatever team is playing the Florida Gators. Even surrounded by a melting pot of fans of other teams, I still call my Hogs on Saturdays. THIS is college football, readers. College football is the smack talk between rival teams, it's losing your voice from cheering, it's the car flags whipping in the wind, it's the tailgating with your friends and complete strangers, it's the heartbreak of a loss and the joy and gloating of a win. And for me, there's just something about hearing "TOUCHDOWN ARKANSAS!" that lets me know Fall is officially here, regardless of the date on the calendar.

It's just nostalgic.

That and it feels darn good when your team straight up rolls over your spouse's team.



~Sarah

4 comments:

Michael said...

Big time thanks for the post, Sarah. Way to lead off the inning with a solid Triple. (Probably would have been a Home Run if so many shots at the Dawgs hadn't been taken.)

Jenni said...

love it Sarah! great job!

Tiffany said...

Well done, SB! And also, thank you for pointing out our alma mater's blantant grammar trangression. (Did it also btoher you that it was the "Communication" Department? Like there is only one kind of communication? I always claimed they took that "s" and tacked it on the end of our mascot, where it definitely did NOT belong.)

Morgan said...

Love it Sarah!!